how to make stick bread (over the fire)

November 19, 2017

 I hope you are having a great day, wherever you are!

Something I remember making a lot when I was younger is 'stick-bread', or pinnebrød as we call it in Norwegian. Whenever we were going on a school trip outside (and there would be a fire, of course) I loved to make this and bring it with me. Sometimes plain, sometimes a little spiced up.

That's something I really like about this; you can change it up! If you want it around your sausage, you can leave it plain or add some cool spices to add a little more to the food. If you want it as a dessert - add some extra sugar, possibly a little cinnamon. It's honestly very versatile.

My favourite way to eat this is just plain. Bread is just good on its own, right? But I also like to add a spice called 'all-around spice'. When my friends and I went out into the woods for a few hours (read here) I made a dessert one, too. By adding a little extra sugar and some cinnamon, it ended up tasting like a cinnamon bun - and who doesn't like a cinnamon bun?

As you can see in the photo above, I wrapped the dough around the barbeque stick without any sausage. I really like wrapping it around the sausage too, but eating just bread is really good, in my opinion.

R E C I P E :
  • 500 g of flour
  • 5 tablespoons of sugar*
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 dl oil
  • 2 dl tepid water
*add more if you want it as dessert + cinnamon if you want.

H O W  T O :
Mix all the dry ingredients together in a bowl. Add then the water and oil until the dough sticks together. It shouldn't be too dry nor too sticky. Put the dough in a box or a zip-lock bag (or something similar). Bring flour with you if you think it might be necessary. (Personally, I don't bring anything)



T I P S :
one:   when wrapped around a sausage, I highly recommend to cook the sausage over the fire first. Just to make sure that the sausage will be cooked all the way through and warm enough. Then, when it's ready, carefully wrap some dough around the sausage.

two:  do not, and I emphasise - DO NOT - wrap the dough too thick. It will take forever to cook. The outside will burn, but the inside will be raw.

three: as with everything else, don't cook it inside the flame or right above it. As mentioned, the outside will burn, but the inside will stay raw. And I personally prefer everything to be cooked - I don't know about you? Hold it above the embers and it will turn out amazing.

four: we use a barbeque stick because it's easier. But, if you don't have one of those, you can find a stick (which makes a little more sense to use - I mean, it's called stick bread for a reason!) Use a knife and remove the bark from the area you will be using and make a pointy end if desired.


Love, Thea

P I N  T H I S  P O S T  :


You Might Also Like

0 comments

who am I?

My name is Thea, I'm a 19 year old girl who loves to read, write and spend way too much time on the computer. I'm a introverted, shy girl who wishes she could be more social.

welcome

welcome

Popular Posts